Rocks, when used in landscaping, not only provide beauty to the landscape, but harmony. Many consider a garden or landscape without rocks incomplete. Rocks tend to balance the landscape and intrigue and invite guests. A simple large rock in a garden can be a place to sit and enjoy the landscapes around you. Simple loose stones or gravel can be walkways that offer a natural appearance that creates a setting that is warm. The following are a few suggestions on how to use rocks to landscape that will help to enhance your garden.
How to Use Rocks to Landscape
- When you select rocks for your garden, choose rocks that are native stone in your region so they create a natural ambience. The rocks should complement each other and be similar in color. Do not vary the hue of the rock colors.
- Choose rocks that vary in size. As with the color, the rocks should complement one another such as smaller rocks complementing larger rocks. The rocks should create harmony that is balanced and flows.
- Construct terraces or garden retaining walls from stone. Use stone on walkways and patios which can be cut to specific forms or naturally shaped.
- If you already have rocks that are in the garden that enhance the garden, do not remove them, add to them and work around them.
Use Small Rocks in Your Garden to Add Texture
- Gravel or crushed granite can be used to naturally texture walkways. Both add a natural flow to the garden and create an ambience that is appealing.
- Around trees and shrubs use small rocks which will help to retain water.
- If you choose to have a gravel bed in the garden then rake the gravel so that it flows and then accent the bed with rocks.
Accent and Sculpture the Garden with Rocks
- In flower beds, place moderate sized rocks as well as in planting groups. Consider the shapes and colors of the plants and choose rocks that highlight and complement the plants. Position the rocks so that they have a natural flow and be sparing with their placement.
- Spread boulders or large rocks in groups of two or three or singly so they become a focal point. Boulders can be beautiful in the garden adding height and dimension. Boulders should be carefully selected so that guests to the garden can enjoy them as a set or other garden functions.
- Add intrigue to the garden by stacking rocks on top of each other. Stacked rocks create energy and mystery and truly add beauty to the garden.
When you shop for rocks you are going to want to ask yourself if the shape and color is appropriate for the garden's landscape. Landscaping with rocks does add natural appear to your landscape whether small stones, boulder or large rocks or a combination. Use the guidelines above which will help you to create the perfect ambience for your garden.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7251971
Post a Comment